You Attract What You Think About!

Simple, real, everyday examples that demonstrate how your thoughts create everything in your life; year to year, day to day, moment to moment...



And the mind-bogglingly true, real-life, personal examples of how,


when you change what you think,

your life presents you with everything you have always wanted.



Friday, August 26, 2011

Letting Go of Control

One of our kids has been tested in the 98th percentile for "giftedness."  His highest strength is logical thinking.  Some educators have asked if he has Asberger's syndrome.  Apparently "gifted" and mild autism are separated by a fine line.

From first grade, he's been enrolled in a "gifted" school.  He has never been a model student.  He likes to spend his time imagining worlds and inventing things.  In class he does not pay attention to the teacher, but when tested on the subject, he can answer the questions correctly.

He has never been willing to do homework (or schoolwork, for that matter).  By second grade, he called school "jail for kids."

I thought he might be bored, so I found another school to shake things up.  This school was billed as accelerated, meaning the students can go at the (high) speed they desire.   I had all three kids tested-in to the new school.

After the first day, we realized the school gave 2 1/2 hours of homework per day.  Paris' brothers were perfectly willing to do their homework.

For the first several days of school, the teacher was rigid with anger when I picked him up from school.  He practically yelled at me about Paris' lack of attention in class and his missing homework. The teacher made it clear he felt it was my job to 'make' him do his homework.

I knew I had to make peace with the situation. 
I had had a belief about homework that was pretty negative.  I didn't believe it was necessary to expect a young kid to go to school for eight hours, then come home and work some more.
I also had a negative point of view about teaching kids things they weren't interested in.

I decided that Paris' life was his own, and I needn't get in the middle of it at all.
I talked to myself with the intention of making myself feel better about the whole school experience.
I got to a point where I genuinely felt confident that Paris and his teacher would figure it out, and I could just support him mentally.

Within ONE DAY of making that decision within myself, Paris grew interested in his homework and finished it with ease.  The teacher texted us to say Paris was suddenly paying attention in class.

Today, Paris was awarded Student of the Week.

No comments:

Post a Comment